- The weather was the best we’ve seen, and so the crowds came….even with the Redneck Olympics (in other words, NASCAR) occuring just a mile or so away, filling the air with the dulcet tones of roaring engines. 20,000+ on Saturday, another 20K on Sunday, and then the usual school-visit crowds of Columbus Day. We had no trouble getting audiences for our shows, and Saturday’s tips were the best of the entire run so far.
- Fans. As a first-year show, it was unexpected, but I’m chuffed as hell to note that we have fans — patrons who have shown up for our show multiple times during the run, and tell us how much they love it. This is officially a Good Thing. This weekend, we had fans that tipped us 20 bucks, fans who asked if we had a website or merchandise (…I’m working on that, actually), and even someone who asked for signatures in one of the Festival’s new Autograph books. Bizarre….but good.
- Performing for people whom we respect, and seeing them really enjoy the show. I never thought that the sight of someone spitting up beer would be a welcome one, but, thanks to
, it was!
- Random Announcements. I am glad that this tradition has returned. Something which could easily venture into self-indulgent pointlessness instead gives everyone at Morning Meeting a much-needed burst of humor and energy before we open…I was proud to provide Sunday’s announcement (“Sic vis Pacem, para Nachos….Dona Nobis Nascar…Git-r-done.”), and King Ricky’s announcement on Monday was hilarious. It feels good to be passing a tradition on to newer performers. Hopefully, it will stick.
- Potato Soup at the home of
on Sunday night, made by . Jesus Monkey-lovin’ Christ, that was good.
- The masturbatory pointlessness of Monday’s morning meeting, watching the Entertainment Staff give eachother Star awards. What-the-fuck-Ever, people.
- “Hey, do you work here? Is that a real sword? Can I hold it? Let me see it.” Ah, the joys of Columbus Day.
- The heckler at our Saturday show at the Mermaid. I shut him down, but perhaps with a bit too much. I don’t like losing my temper. Still, fans thanked me afterwards….but I don’t like letting them get to me like that.
- OK, Dude….if you quit, then go away. Don’t come back every fucking weekend and try to get me involved in your little crusade. I swear to god….if Keith (is that his name?) comes up to me again to tell me about his Super-Keen Elite Seekrit Plans, I’m just going to bitch-slap him in full view of patrons and other performers.
- The Front Gate had their cast party this weekend, at the site. Previously, the vendors had theirs…at the site. Apparently, the only people who don’t deserve a cast party are….well, THE FUCKING CAST. The E.D. must have known that people were pissed about this….because he addressed it on Monday, saying that it was because “of the behavior of some during last year’s party”, and that there will be a party. They’re planning on renting a theatre and having an “academy awards ceremony”, where people get dressed up, etc. So, in other words, he’s totally missed the fucking point AGAIN, and has decided to focus on the one fucking thing that nobody (other than himself and his clique) gives half a shit about: the awards.
I’m sorry….the awards only meant something when they were peer awards, and we all voted. Now, it’s just another case of meaningless Maestrobation, for the enjoyment of the Inner Circle. The point of the cast party was the socializing and celebration of our collective work….and if your prude-ass-closet-queen-Jesus-Freak-psyche can’t handle “the behavior of some”, then have two parties: One for the 21 and overs, and one for the kids.
I could go on…but I noticed that
said a great many of the things that I would, so there’s not much point in my belaboring the point. Suffice to say that I am desperately hoping that a rumor that I have heard about the future of the current Staff is true. I’m not holding my breath, but I’m hoping.